Tuesday, February 21, 2012

ipod dance party?




Last night my friend Ynna had an ipod dance party. I was very skeptical and wasn't sure if I wanted to go at first because...
1.) I am not a hipster
2.) I am not a cool dancer
and
3.) I am not a hipster.

What is an ipod dance party you might ask?
It is where everyone dances to the same song from their Ipod and listens to it with their own headphones. The song isn't you average 3 minute tune, but it is a compilation of different jams turned into one long 32 minute ballad. You are constantly dancing for a good 30 minutes. Does that make sense? Basically, if someone did not have headphones on listening to the song, they would see a bunch of random people dancing in silence.


When I got to the party I was intimidated. I was in a room filled with people who looked like they had just walked out of a magazine. Everyone was so beautiful, and mostly everyone was already friends. They had all done this before, they knew what to do. I was worried I was going to look like a complete idiot, and I was definitely worried about what everyone would think.

We all walked down to a parking garage, stood in a circle, then 3...2...1...pressed play. The dancing began.

I felt like a complete fool at first. I felt as if people were staring at me, thinking I was dumb.
After a few minutes, something hit me. I finally learned something that I have needed to learn.

That is:
It doesn't matter what people think of you, BE YOURSELF.

I began dancing hard and crazy. I stopped caring about what others might think. I realized that I should be able to be myself no matter what. I shouldn't care what the world around me thinks. I shouldn't worry about if people judge me or think I am weird. If someone doesn't take the time to get to know me because I dance weird, or don't dress perfectly, then it is their loss. I am a Daughter of God. I am worth so much... far more than I could even imagine. If someone doesn't take the time to see that, they are not worth my time.

We live in a society where people are constantly judging. Everyone does it. Sadly to say, I judge! Even though everyone judges, we shouldn't let the fear of what others might think get in our way. We cannot let anyone determine who we are going to be. We must be ourselves! We should be the person who God intended us to be.

We were all created differently. That is what is so beautiful about life. We are all different so that we can impact the world in a way that no one else can.

So today as you go throughout the day...Remember to...
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”






1 comment: