Wednesday, November 16, 2011

You learn something every day if you pay attention

I have realized that I have not taken the advantage of all the learning experiences that I have had throughout my life. Vienna has opened my eyes to so many different things. Last night I was able to go to the Vienna Phil-Harmonic and it was absolutely PHENOMENAL. When I was younger I listened Classical music all the time, but when I got older I acquired the mentality that I was "too cool" to listen to it. DUMB..I know. I am kicking myself that I didn't take advantage of such wonderful music for the past few years. What I am trying to get at is that I have made a new goal. That goal is to really take advantage of my learning and learn all that I can. Having said that, I decided that everyday I am going to learn of a new peice of art, a new classical song, and a new word. Nerdy...I know, but we are suppose to learn all that we can in this life aren't we?

So I figure I could share with my new learning's here! Here it goes!

Song of the day:
Brahm's, Piano Concerto No. 1
Heard this at the philharmonic last night and it was breathtaking. Watching the musicians move play was amazing. They get so into and every note they played sounded like a little piece of heaven.

Art of the day:
This painting is by Gustav Klimt and it is called " The Kiss" or (Der Kuss). I had the opportunity to see this painting today at Belvedere Palace. This painting is all over Vienna and will probably always remind me of the city. This painting has definitely grown on me. At first I didn't really take the time to look at it, but after a while I began to see so much beauty. I love this painting because I feel like it is showing two people who really care about each other. It seems to me as if the two are embracing each other and are sharing a tender moment. I just really feel the love from this couple. You may not think that because everyone interprets painting differently, but this is how I feel. I also love this because of the diverse colors and geometric shapes. I loved being able to get close to the painting and see the texture from the paint and the metallic colors.

Word of the day: SUPERFLUOUS

su·per·flu·ous

[soo-pur-floo-uhs]
adjective
1.
being more than is sufficient or required; excessive.
2.
unnecessary or needless.
3.
Obsolete . possessing or spending more than enough ornecessary; extravagant.

example: I have had a superfluous amount of Manner cookies since I have been here.


So there is the awesome girl on the trip here named Ashley Curtis. She is the most entertaining slash surprising person I have ever met. She has a rather extensive vocabulary so she has definitely been a factor in me wanting to learn more. I hope one day I can be like UH-HUH from Little Rascals when he says "Actually, I've always had a rather extensive vocabulary, not to mention a phenomenal grasp of grammar and a superlative command of syntax. I simply chose not to employ them."


No comments:

Post a Comment