Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Tom Boy

Growing up I classified myself as a tom boy. Most of my childhood was spent with four brothers who taught me to love and appreciate sports. I remember going to their baseball games, basketball games, football games, and track meets every weekend. Sports, sweats, and baggy T-shirts were what I loved. I looked up to my brothers, especially Shaun, who excelled at every sport he played. I wanted to be just like him.

When I was young, I had gorgeous, long, thick hair that went to my waist. It was my mom's pride and joy. Every day she wanted to curl it, braid it, or do something to it. Not only that, she wanted to dress me up in frilly dresses like an American Girl Doll. Sadly, I fought her every day. I wanted to put my hair in a pony tail and I wanted to wear what I wanted to wear! (Which consisted over huge T-shirts and sweats or basketball shorts) I am pretty sure it drove her crazy. I vividly remember one afternoon where she was brushing through my hair trying to do something with it and I had had enough! I then packed my bag and proceeded to run away. (Only to come back a few hours later.)

I remember my 8th grade year I was on a Metro League Basketball team. One of the rules we had as a team was that every day we had a game, we had to dress up for school. I did not like this idea one bit. I always wore jeans and a sweatshirt to school, no one ever saw me dressed up and I didn't want to change that. I remember nervously approaching school in my black skirt and pink top. I thought for sure everyone would whisper and stare at me. I, Elysse Allman, did not dress up, not in skirt or dresses at least. Humiliated I walked into homeroom where my best friend Erin Nesbit was sitting. She was on my basketball team as well and commented on how nice I looked, along with my Homeroom teacher Ms. Martin. I looked at the embarrassed and said, "I feel like such a girl today." They laughed so hard and made a big joke out of it after that. They proceeded together to get me a "Pink" teddy bear with that quote on it.

High school started and I began to try and dress nicer. It would last the first week of school, then with early morning seminary I stopped caring. With basketball season taking up most the year, I found myself frequently wearing sweatpants. Almost everyday my hair was thrown up in a bun or pony tail. I ALWAYS had a sweatshirt with me and mostly everyday wore a T-shirt. At least I started dressing like more of a girl on the weekends right??

All in all, I was a tom boy. I dressed like one and acted like one. Sports were my life. Being one of the guys was my life. I didn't care about fashion or how I dressed. All I cared about was being comfortable.

So now it blows my mind that I actually am into fashion! I used to HATE shopping. I hated it so much. Now I find myself walking through stores, yearning to buy cute knit tops and flowy dresses. I actually want to look nice every day. I want to shop at all these name brand stores. It is so weird. I find myself feeling a little uneasy when I am just in jeans and a sweatshirt with my hair in a pony tail now. It is so weird to me. As I walked through the Gateway mall tonight looking through different stores I stared in disbelief at how many clothes I loved and wanted to buy. I wanted to buy all these different items so I could put together different outfits. It was weird. This is not the Elysse I am used to.

Don't get me wrong, I am still way less girly than lots of people I know. I still find myself reverting back to the jeans and sweatshirt all the time, but as of right now I kind of want to be better at dressing my best. I have noticed that when I am actually put together I have more confidence. We'll see what happens. All I know is I love the feeling of a nice big sweatshirt:)

Here are some pictures exemplifying my love for comfort











3 comments:

  1. I dont know if I'm annoying you yet, but you are one of those girls that looks good in anything you want to wear, just saying..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom:) you are seriously my favorite ever:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. and you are not annoying me at all

    ReplyDelete